Today we will tell you what strength aerobics is and what are the varieties of this type of training.
Strength aerobics is a type of training in which exercises are performed with small weights and at an intense (aerobic) pace. This training method will help to tone the muscles, and get rid of excess weight (fat).
The basic exercises in strength aerobics are push-ups, pull-ups, squats, lunges, bends, bench presses and twisting. Those who believe that such training is not diverse are mistaken. In each training, different variations of the exercises are used.
A one-hour strength aerobics training helps burn up to 600 kilocalories.
What is the difference between traditional and strength aerobics
Traditional aerobics is based on dance steps, while in strength aerobics there are only strength exercises that must be performed with light weights, but at a fast pace. Thus accelerated pace makes it aerobics, and it is strength because of the use of weights.
As weights, the following tools can be used:
- Light dumbbells
- Weight plates
- Exercise ball
- Medicine ball
Strength aerobics features
Strength aerobics is similar to other aerobics classes. First 5-10 minutes is a warm-up. The main part lasts 40-50 minutes. Training frequency is 2-3 times a week with a day of rest.
A full body program starts with the buttocks and legs. Then the shoulders, arms and back are worked, after which the abs are being worked out. However, the sequence may vary. At the same time, training can be carried out according to the split system, for example, top-bottom. This means that in one workout you train your upper body (chest, back, shoulders, biceps and triceps), and in another workout you train your lower body (quadriceps, biceps femoris, calves, lower back, buttocks and abdominal muscles).
Beginners do exercises without weights and use equipment for a home gym. In strength aerobics, exercises with bodyweight (push-ups, abs exercises, lunges, squats, etc.) are widely used. As the physical form improves, exercises become harder, the working weight increases.
Advantages and disadvantages
The advantages of this type of training are:
- Significant metabolic acceleration.
- Strengthening the cardiovascular system.
- Increased Stamina.
- The ability to work out all muscle groups.
The disadvantages of strength aerobics include:
- The high intensity and the presence of weights make these workouts difficult for beginners.
- You can’t build big muscles. Although for women this is more a plus than a minus.
If you already have at least a little experience in strength or aerobic training, and you do not need to lose or gain much weight, then strength aerobics is just what you need. Such training will help you get rid of 3-5 kg of fat or build up the missing 2-3 kg of muscle (depending on nutrition and weights used). But if you need more muscle or get rid of more fat, then it is better to choose either traditional strength training, or aerobic (cardio).
Varieties of Strength aerobics
- Power Ball. A strength training, where a large ball is used. It helps target the main muscle groups, reduce axial load on the spine, improve posture. Suitable for any level of fitness.
- Body Sculpt is a type of strength training aimed at all muscle groups using special equipment (dumbbells, step platforms, bodybar). The intensity of the load: medium and high. Suitable for any level of fitness.
- Magic Power is an unusual training, the purpose of which is to work the most problematic areas, namely hips, abdomen, buttocks. The truly magical power of static load is getting a toned body with defined muscles. This kind of strength aerobics is also suitable for people with any level of fitness.
- Energy Zone is a type of strength training, which is aimed at increasing the and targeting all muscle groups. The intensity of the training is high. There are no rests between exercises in this training. Suitable only for people with an advanced level of fitness.
- ABT is a strength training, which is aimed at training the muscles of the legs, buttocks, abdomen, i.e. lower body. Helps to correct problem areas and reduce body fat. In the training step platforms and weights are used, which helps to work out the muscles of the legs, buttocks and abdomen as deeply as possible. The ABT complex also includes stretching exercises, which help relieve tension from muscles after a stress load and restore normal breathing rhythm.
- Upper Body is a strength class, the essence of which is to work out the muscles of the shoulders, arms, chest, abdominals and upper back. Suitable for any fitness level.
- ABS (Aerobic Body Stretch). The training consists of three parts: aerobic, strength training and stretching. The duration of the training is one and a half hours. Level of training: intermediate and advanced.
- AB-Marathon is strength training, which is aimed at working out the muscles of the back and abdominals. Suitable for any level of training.
- Core Training is a one-of-a-kind activity on balance boards. It is aimed at strengthening the deep muscles of the body (stabilizers), the development of coordination and flexibility. Suitable for all levels of fitness.
- Medicine Ball is the next step after core training. It is a core strength training, in which a medicine ball is used as an additional weight. Improves strength and balance.
- Core Final Cuts - strength training, during which the core board is used. Promotes the development of balance and strengthening not only large, but also small muscle groups. This training is suitable only for people with a good fitness level.
- Core Barbell is a high-intensity strength training aimed at training not only the main muscle groups, but also small muscles, which are included in the work through the use of an unstable surface. In this training, additional equipment (aerobic bar, core board) is used.
- Barbell Workout. A strength training with additional training equipment (barbell), aimed at training the main muscle groups. The lesson will be useful for both men and women with a fitness level starting from intermediate.
- Deadly Force. A variety of barbell workout. It is a strength training in which the bar is also used. A distinctive feature is a higher level of intensity. It is recommended only to people with advanced fitness level.
- Flexible strength. The lesson is aimed at strengthening the back muscles and developing flexibility. The lesson uses slow power work. A number of elements are taken from yoga.
- Final Cuts is a new type of strength training designed to improve body balance. It works several muscle groups at the same time. The level of fitness is advanced.
- Medicine Ball Training. A strength training using a medicine ball. It is aimed at strengthening the muscles of the whole body and developing balance. Suitable for people with any fitness level.
- Circuit Training is a high intensity strength training that is based on a circuit training. Its main goal is to strengthen all muscle groups and develop endurance. Fitness level: intermediate and advanced.
- Power Deck is an interval strength training with special platforms. Intensity: high.
- Functional Deck. A lesson is in the format of a circuit training with special platforms and additional training tools, such as medicine balls.
If you first decided to do aerobics, do not start with strength aerobics. This type of training is characterized by a trauma hazard, which the lower body and the spine are especially susceptible to. Classes are quite intense, so some preparation is necessary. Beginners should not take an excessive load, as it is fraught with increased pressure, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, injury. Elderly people with weak immunity need to do strength exercises for weight loss in a slow, gentle mode. Patients with certain diseases are advised to choose a different type of training.
List of contraindications:
- problems with joints, spine;
- pathology of blood vessels, heart;
- pregnancy, breastfeeding;
- head injuries;
- bronchial asthma.
Maik Wiedenbach’s training methods are scientific, proven to get results, and customizable to suit your individual needs. Let’s get started.
This site is associated with bodypump.online, and offers advice with regard to working out, exercise, nutrition, diet, health and bodybuilding.